Thursday 13 March 2014

NZ,Africa 1999-2000

New Zealand, African blog 1999 / 2000

New Zealand has always been one of my favourite destinations because of its old English feel about it, its like going back in time to how England used to be.
2 weeks into the trip we had purchased an old 4x4 and i had secured a job with Honda Motorcycles in Christchurch, which was pretty lucky. The following week i started the job which was located 2 hours drive north in a very small country town.

For me Africa has always been a place on my to-do list.
In 2000 I met a friend who lives in Cape Town and was very familiar with the country and its dangers.
Landing into Johannesburg sat by the pilot in the cockpit of a 747 was a very cool experience, then onto a connecting flight to Cape Town.
Never have I been to a country so different from the one I know back home, the poverty here is extreme, a lot of people have very little and food, fresh water being the most important.
Landing into Cape Town feeling tired a guy approached me, said he worked here, he had overalls on with some kind of airline badge and can help me with my backpacks, next thing, I’m chasing him grabbing my bags off him before he was outside, I would have never seen him or my stuff again… that was my first insight into Africa. 
The next was arriving at my hostel in Cape Town with an electric mains fence around the perimeter, Africa has its dangers like all countries, but also has an exceptional wildlife spectacle like no other. I’m not the type of person who would visit a Zoo, that’s why I travelled here to see Lions, zebras, giraffes, Elephants, Rhino’s, etc in their own natural habitat. To see these animals out in the wild here is awesome..
A camping safari is what I arranged with land rover night drives, for me this was the best, a local cook prepared dinner each night for us and had the safety of a gamekeeper with a few guns, just in case.. 
Listening to the lions roar in the evenings in our tent was a bit scary, then getting out for the toilet was even scarier, but its an amazing experience.
The highlight of the trip was being next to a pride of 9 Lions a few feet away in the open top land rover.

No comments:

Post a Comment